Washing a handwoven silk carpet requires following certain procedures. Below I explain the methods for washing this type of carpet:
1. Check the Label: First, check to see if there is a label on the rug that provides specific washing instructions. If there is a label, follow its instructions.
2. Color test: Before washing the entire silk carpet, do a color test on a small and invisible part of the carpet. This will help you to ensure that the color of the carpet is stable and that the color is not damaged during washing.
3. Hand washing: The best way to wash a silk carpet is to use hand washing. In a clean environment and mild water temperature (between 30-40°C), dissolve some mild detergent (such as a special shampoo for silk carpet) in the water.
4. Wash carefully: Dip the carpet gently and using your hands into the detergent solution. Touch the carpet carefully and without using too much pressure and remove the dirt from its fibers. Never use a brush with hard materials, as it may damage the delicate silk fibers.
5. Thorough washing: After you have washed the carpet in general, gently wash it with another washing water until all detergents are removed from the carpet. You may need to drink clean water several times for this.
6. Gentle dryer: Carefully remove the carpet from the water and dry it in the sun if possible on a flat and clean surface. If using a dryer, adjust the heat to a lower temperature and cool mode to avoid damage to the silk fibers. Also, lay the carpet flat and without integrals to maintain its shape and design.
7. Preventing it from drying completely: It may take a long time for a silk rug to dry completely. To prevent premature drying, place the carpet in a dry and ventilated place as much as possible before drying to prevent the fibers from forming and shrinking.
By following these methods and care, you can wash your handmade silk carpet safely and in the best possible way and enjoy its beauty and longevity. Also, if you are not sure how to wash a certain carpet, it is better to consider professional and expert services in the field of handwoven silk carpet washing.